Hello everyone!
First of all, sorry for the lack of pictures. Aimee takes her pictues in RAW format and I don't know how to get them off her camera properly. I'll figure this out and get them up here on her blog later today. She wanted me to put up a post on her behalf.
By the way, we have a new baby! Here is the story:
We were out having a nice west coast experience, as we took the kids for a walk in the rain to a playground in Central Park (seriously, the best playground I have ever seen. They have all kinds of unique, interactive playground elements. One of theme are these binoculars that the kids could look through. Elijah was looking through them and exclaimed, 'I see a movie. I see a DVD'. Really, we try not to let them see too many movies). Anyways, Aimee said she was having back pain and slight contractions. We got home at 1:30 and she said they were getting a bit stronger, more intense.
I should offer at this point, some advice that will likely appear completely obvious - when your wife is having contractions, believe her. Don't ask, "Are you sure?" , "Maybe you are just having digestion cramps", "Could be gas right?", "How can you be really sure", as these will only annoy her. Finally Aimee said to me, "You're bugging me!" which is about as mean as she gets. Aimee phoned midwife Tracy and got a few more instructions. Aimee began walking around the house, managing the contractions calmly. I on the other hand got very, very hyper. Actually, it is really embarrassing. I got this way last time. Once I realize that this is for real, that this doesn't just involve a pregnancy but a labour and a birth and a screaming baby - I don't know what to do with myself. I usually mutter helpful things to Aimee as I pace around, "Oh ok. Uh here we go. It's go time. Ok. What do we need. Are you ok. Are you sure. Ok giddy-up." As it turns out, this does not actually help. "You're bugging me."
By 3:45 the contractions are getting pretty strong. Aimee is on all fours leaning on the couch, swaying back and forth. Eva is beside her leaning over, a perfect mimic swaying in time. Elijah is trying to take advantage of the situation and is trying to mount Mama's back and ride 'the horsey'. I am trying to finish packing, and feed the kids and ensure there is no horsey riding.
By 4:20pm Grandma Kathy has arrived and we are out the door and in the van. Now the contractions are much more intense. Aimee says, "I'm trying to see the contractions as a good thing. They are necessary to get the baby out and I am going to work with them." I thought this sounded incredibly smart and heroic. She also said that it was a mercy that there is a break between the contractions. It should be pointed out that this is a terribly 'Aimee' thing to say - rather than complaining about things she was focussing on how great it was that she got to have a break in the pain. This was the first of many times in the day where I was quite in awe of who she is.
We met Tracy at the hospital and once we got situated in the birthing room (apparently the last room in the delivery ward!) Tracy checked Aimee and she was 5 centimeters. I won't get into too many details here, but I wish any of you (females) who are really into labour could watch Aimee. She is incredible - so focussed and tough. And polite. During one particuarily intense contraction, Tracy and I were encouraging her, "Way to go. Good job..." to which AImee squeeked out a "Thank-you." We laughed and told her she didn't need to be polite in labour.
Aimee is really into science and learning about how things work. She really wanted a video of the birth, so I had the camera set up on a shelf facing the bed. We got the whole birth on tape - yikes.
Anyways, at 6:15pm the little baby boy ANDERS MICAH ODEGARD arrived!
For the next hour Aimee kept marvelling at how much she enjoyed the experience (! ?) and she especially liked having a midwife. For almost an hour Anders laid on Aimee's chest. Time was suspended as we looked at him in the dimly light room, pointing out things we noticed: "Hey he has so much hair!" "He has long toes. "He has Odegard ear lobes." This was a much different experience as there was no operating room or panic. Just time to notice and enjoy fresh Anders.
Now, I have to say at this point that even with writing and talking about this kind of thing, the miracle (and I use that in a non-sentimental way) of birth is so beyond language. How can you write about the invisible becoming visible? Or how out of the pain and mess, new life emerges? Or how so clearly humanity and holiness are on display? Or how there seems to be two births happening at the same time - the baby and the parent's new capacity to love that baby?
My father-in-law is currently doing a major expansion to his bookstore. Outside the existing store the new structure is being built and attached to the old building. After many months of building and finishing, they will punch through the inside wall and quite instantly the store will be expanded. This seems similar to what God does. He is busy behind the scenes working and creating in areas that we can't see. And at the proper time, God breaks through the walls of our lives, with a surprising expansion. This is the second miracle of birth: even more space, even more love.
ANDERS ('strong') MICAH ('who is like God?') ODEAGARD ('desolate farm') is a really cool kid. He is 8 pounds 4 ounces, 21 inches long, and hairy. He looks sort of like Eva, sort of like Elijah, and mostly like himself. He is really into eating - true Odegard.
Aimee is very, very happy. I'm sure she will want to fill in the details (ladies I tried my best to give details!)
Thanks for all of your prayer and support and interest.
Lance
28 comments:
You must have posted this with in one minute of my logging on to check!!!
CONGRATULATIONS :) I'm glad that everything went as well as it seems to could have, that you have a healthy baby and mamma's good too!!! All the best, we're praying for you guys :)
WOW! Oh my! I am so excited! As a tear(or many) streamed down my face I fell into a state of awe! A new Odegard has arrived, a healthy mom has emerged, an exciting father has blogged and two kiddies now have a third to play with! God is sooo good!
Congratulations on this miracle, a new baby boy!
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us!
Aimee, you are such an amazing person, especially in labour! I'm glad that it was such a great experience for you! And what a wonderful experience, welcoming a new life into this world and into your family!
God Bless you all with love for your new family!
good post lance!
Wow! Welcome little Anders. I am in awe at Aimee too. I would be whining and trying to help Mark understand how horrible I would be feeling. Aimee inspires me. I'm so excited for pictures. Congratulations on the new baby Odegards!
YAYYYY!!! I am so happy for you guys. Hope your recovery goes well, and can't wait to see pics of little Anders! Cute name, by the way. I am just so happy for you!!!
oh lance, thank you for such a great post! as with your post when the twins arrived, this one had me laughing and crying at the same time. you captured the emotion and the miracle so well. congratulations to all 4 of you!!
-heidi
Congratulations to all the O's. Lance - this was the best report on birth I've ever seen from a man. Usually men say, "we went to the hospital & had the baby. It is a boy."
I also think you are a great writer - your writing reminded me of Jean Vanier's writing.
CONGRATULATIONS!! What a wonderful birth story :)
What a wonderful account of such a powerful event. Thanks so much Lance for taking the time to share this with us. Congrats to all of you!
Congratulations Lance and Aimee!!
Thank you Lance. What a beautiful post. Looking forward to meeting little Anders.
love
melanie
I was looking forward to a Lance update and you did not dissapoint!
Enjoy the babymoon.
Dear Odegards!
We celebrate the arrival of Anders! So glad a C-section wasn't the order of the day. Continued blessings on your expanded family.
Matt & Cristina
Congratulations, Lance and Aimee! Can't wait for pictures! Also would like to thank Lance for updating us all as we ourselves waited in antisipation. Happy Baby-Mooning!
Congratulations!
you know I think it's SO cool that God told me there would was something up with the number 3. But I didn't quite know what, and now I do. The third of October. And perhaps the third child had something to do with it too! You know what's even more strange??? My birthday is Oct.3rd and I weighed the same, 8-4!!! I think THAT'S craziness!!!
So excited for you guys!
Didi
p.s. I LOVE the name 'Anders' too. It rolls off the tongue nicely. (0:~
Lance, thank your for your post. We slaughtered and butchered our 11 turkeys today. I went to sleep so happy and excited for you guys and your new little dude, Anders.
Blessings and prayers. Sorry we missed your call. Sausage recipes were being looked up online. Lots of love. Can't wait to meet Anders.
Cara, for Andy and Sarah and I
(I read this post as Andy mopped the kitchen floor. He had a few hearty laughs throughout it and we appreciate your perspective.)
congratulations Odegard family!!! I saw pictures on Grandma kathy's blog, and he's so handsome! Being only 3 weeks past our midwife birthing experience, this all sounds so fresh to me still, and wonderful!
Lance, I had to laugh at your comment about the husband not questioning the wife if she is truly in labor. My husband did the same thing :) So very happy to hear that the midwife was a positive experience for you too!
congrats again!
Chalk another one up the cocktail!
So glad to hear a report of everything going smoothly, and seeing pictures on your mom's blog.
Let us know if you ever need anything!
many blessings to you all as you learn each other. Congratulations on the wonderful birth experience Aimee...redemptive.
I love his name.
I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing more! Aimee, it sounds like you did a wonderful job! I hope that within the business of this time you're able to savour the newness and miracle of your growing family.
awesome post! Congratulations!!! :)
Oh yeah! I am so excited for all of you guys!! Great writing Lance!!!!!
Congratulations on the birth of your son!
Y
ou are all in our thoughts and prayers!
Andrew & Tracey
What a beautiful birth story. I love hearing the Dad/Hubby view of it. Aimee sounds amazing.
Blessings!!
Huge congratulations to all five of you ... now you are ready for Elijah's horsey rides, right Aimee?!!
Thanks, Lance, for the gift of hearing afresh of your love of life through these words ... it allows a moment of thanksgiving for the deep connection God offers us so freely with others in life [especially family] ... it gives pause to know the degree to which God is at work in me, you, my family, your family ...
God's peace and rest to you Aimee, Lance, Eva, Elijah and Anders!
From the Hill family
TED+
Congratulations on your new teeny tiny son. We thought birth was thrilling too! I like your birth story writing!
oh Lance, that was so beautifully written, I'm an emotional wreck right now. Once again...so happy for you guys, and so inspired by you Aimee. lots of love!
Post a Comment