Friday, October 17, 2008

As of late (contains vivid descriptions of vomit)

On Wednesday mom came out to help me with the kids. Lance was on reading break and needed to use it for reading - makes sense. So mom planned to stay over till Thursday, as Lance had a school get together on Wed night. Turns out the gathering was for spouses too. Mom agreed to watching the twins so Lance, I and Anders could go. I was excited to get to go. Lance, who was keen to have me come, looked at my knit black maternity yoga style pants and asked if I'd change my clothes. OF COURSE! I told him I planned to wear my "sexy jeans". He looked perplexed - obviously they weren't as sexy as I thought or he'd have known which pants I was talking about. He continued, "If they have a wide stretchy band at the top you can't use that word to describe them" We burst into laughter. Yes, I suppose my maternity jeans might not qualify as sexy...

Anyways I got ready to go - wearing the jeans previously known as sexy - and was just saying my good-byes to the kids as Lance buckled Anders in the van. Eva was whimpering about wanting to snuggle me and just as we were about to hug she began to puke. Oh gross. Great volumes of raspberry applesauce and cottage cheese came spewing forth all over her, me, the floor, my purse, the diaper bag (though this wasn't discovered till we arrived at our host's home, I then made a beeline for the bathroom and cleaned up what I could). Mom quickly ushered Eva, somewhat upset but feeling better, to the bathtub. I, before stripping down out my drenched clothes, looked at myself in the bathroom mirror. Covered in puke i thought,

" I guess I just don't do sexy anymore"

I dug through the piles of laundry in our room and found something to fit my in between shaped body. We arrived late to the get together and proceeded to thoroughly enjoy ourselves. Each member of Lance's tutorial group shared from their life story about how God had lead them to where they are now. We heard of devastating family dysfunction, depression, God's faithfulness, awkward junior high years, love, hope, uncertainty ... we feasted on stories that night. We left at 11:15! yikes.

We got home and heard about mom's night. Eva had been sick many more times. Mom had washed and dried two loads of laundry put one healthy and one sick kid to bed. Cleaned up vomit and done the dishes. WOW! And not a single complaint. She just said it was a good thing she was an experienced mother. I'll say.

Next morning I (with Anders) head out to grab a few groceries and then go to a midwife appointment. I am notoriously late for things - you know this, I know this and I'm trying to get better. But I always (well almost always) cut things too close. So I've gathered the groceries and am waiting in line - you know the kind... the kind that doesn't move. It's the express lane, but really it's not at all. Is the clerk in training? Does the man at the counter have some obscure fruit she doesn't know the code for? - I'm watching the clock and realize I have no time to wait. I abandon my cart - telling a nearby stockboy so that the perishable items will be reshelved before they go bad - and rush out of the store. Once in the van I drive jerkily around the underground parking lot looking for the exit. It eludes me and the tears well up. My face contorts and I am almost sobbing. Post partem hormones at their best. I look at the clock and realize that there is no way I'll make it to my appointment. But believe it or not this is the second midwife appointment I will have missed today. I got the time wrong and missed the 9:30 one I was supposed to go too, so this 12:15 appointment was my midwife squeezing me in on her lunch break and now I was going to miss that too. Long story shorter... I found myself crying in the starbucks where lance was studying, called the midwife, left anders with lance while i headed back up to save-on to re-do my shopping. I came across my cart in the baked goods aisle- still fully loaded. thank-you God. got back in the express line, this time living up to its name. right before my turn i realize that one item is missing. leave the line, grab the molasses, rejoin the line.

i was beat when i got home.

eva puked all day, keeping nothing down. we took her to emergency on the advice of the bc nurseline lady. our pathetically lethargic girl was able to keep some slowly adminstered juice down and they sent us home. today she has eaten a little and is doing a lot better. melanie came for a visit (showering anders and i with thoughtful, lovely, handcrafed gifts) and mom stayed til after naps.

okay i'm sure that was more details than you needed. and now i'm going to sleep.

aimee

12 comments:

kortney said...

Aimee, my goodness...you're tough to make it through and then blog about it not too long after! You're in my prayers tonight!!!

steven said...

hey aimee. What an amazing entry. I will find a publisher for your parenting book if you keep writing stories this good

Love you

Steven

Jena said...

I guess this is what makes an "experienced mom".
Long days, short years.

God Bless you Friend!

Jena

Jeremiah and Amy said...

What a day! Nice "real life" entry! I am encouraged by all you moms paving the way for us future moms :)

Jeremiah and Amy said...

By future, I don't mean near future just to clarify :)

heidi said...

oh my goodness, aimee! that is a story to remember. my goodness, i'd have been bawling waaaay before that if it was me ;)

Tennille said...

Aimee, I know that you know this but it's sometimes good to be reminded that God is with us in the storms, God can display Himself in a loving grandmother, and storms can be disguised in a sick child. I don't know how anyone can be a parent and not believe in God's grace. He carries us in His arms more than we will ever know, I'm sure.

Claire said...

Oh Aimee...i love you.

DAve and JAnie said...

What's that saying... When it rains, it pours!
Wow, you sure are making it through some trying times.
Hope you get another chance to wear the 'sexy' jeans out and about soon!

Wanda said...

Oh Aimee! I hope you got a good sleep after all that!!!

Demara said...

Aw thank-you for sharing your "real" moments with us Aimee! I love you~

Shannon said...

I'm glad you have some help... an understanding husband (regardless of the non sexy jeans) and an experienced, willing mother. What a blessing.

Hope the pukes clear up and don't spread to other family members. Why all this has to happen on top of having a new baby, is just a cruel bit of nature.

Glad to hear you are otherwise healthy and back to normal with the new babe.