Sunday, February 1, 2009

comparison trap

The other day a read a post at Study in Brown (here)

Among other things, she wrote of the danger of:

"creating an alternate reality where everything is only lovely, where the camera blurs out the dirty floors or neglected duties or hurting child so that another woman miles away looks around her house and feels inadequate."

I read a number of blogs or women that I (though I've never met) admire a lot. None of these authors intend to present a picture of a perfect life, or to cause their faraway readers to get caught in the trap of comparison and inadequacy. But it is a risk. And I, as a reader, take full responsibility for my response to reading their blogs.

Today I was viewing photos of Sara's house (walkslowlylivewildly) and even before I clicked on her flicker link I knew it was coming. I knew that as I viewed the photos inside me would start growing discontent...even jealously. Followed by excuses, why my house doesn't look like that. I tried to be inspired instead of discouraged. Spirit help me. And it is an awesome house - cozy and creative, lots of unique furnishing and decorations - take a look (as long as you won't end up feeling bad). I think just being aware of my common response is a good way to change it.

It's funny (well, you know, not actually funny) how what I read really influences what I think I should be doing and how I should be doing it. Reading Soulemama and seeing all her handknits I think -- I should learn to knit, not only could I provide my family with creative handmade goodness...but I'd be cooler too. As if I will be knitting any time soon - and even then only scarves I'm sure. How many scarves does a family need anyway? Or reading other blogs in the attachment parenting vein and ending up bemoaning the amount of plastic toys my kids have and how I should really be buying them handmade wooden toys that they polish with beeswax. Knitting and beeswax are fine, and they might be fine for my family...but not because I read it on a blog and felt I would be a better person if I did that too.

I appreciated on Tonia's post (the study in brown one I mentioned at the beginning) how she encouraged reader's to get their direction from God - who is so personal that his plans for each of us are specific. He knows me. His plan for me is not knitting (but maybe learning to sew). It seems that his plan for me right now is to grow in awareness of how to balance service and self-care. Learning when to rest and when to work. When to sit and play with kids and when to put a video in and do the dishes - or read a novel.

Well, I think I'm out of words on that right now. Hope that made sense. My mind is a little jumbled.

Have a blessed Sunday. It's snowing where we are. Kids are sick. Older ones are getting better and little one is getting worse. Photos from yesterday are up at here&there.

aimee

8 comments:

anno said...

THanks Aimee. My thinkings exactly. Especially as I find myself checking blogs and thinking "doing that would make me better/more attentive to my kids."....as I read the blog and they plead for my attention from the living room. :)

Anno

Meredith said...

Aimee,
Thanks for the reminder :) of where we need to be and what to be mind-ful of. Would it change you to know that I have twinges of 'she's better at this than I am' when I read your blog? Because, I do.
Take Care

Anonymous said...

I was JUST thinking about that today. I wanted to blog about it too-maybe I still will.

Shannon said...

I was sort of hoping to scroll down and see a picture of a torn up living room or kitchen full of dirty dishes. :O)

I enjoy blogs that blog about life- the good and the bad. Our lives are a mix of happy, domestic bliss, domestic slobbery, adorable kid stories and blurry late nights filled with vomit and croup. I think this is the beauty of the blogs. Gives us an outlet and an opportunity to really stay connected.

Otherwise, I might not have seen you for 15 more years and when I said "how have you been" You'd simply reply "good" I love knowing what to pray for and the smiles along. And being able to share tears when needed is humbling.

I'm still working on the balance of escaping from my life and diving too deep into others peoples out of boredom. I might try only checking twice a day like you do. hmmm.

Claire said...

Hey Aimee...yes, I read that study in brown post too and was really struck by it. I really liked how she talked about getting her direction from God too. I don't know if you've ever read the Q&A's on soulemama's blog, but I finally did the other day and it too made me feel so much better. Cause she seems to live a pretty much perfect life filled with creative, beautiful family time...but in her Q&A the question was, "how do you do it all" she talked about how for her, her blog is an outlet of peace and beauty in her life so she focuses on those things in her writing but she said rest assured, i don't do it all. Often her dishes and laundry pile up, b/c for her that isn't as much as a priority and she mentioned how there are sometimes raised voices and arguments...anyways...it helped me realize she is normal too. Yes, I really liked Tonia's post too and your comments on it. I love how real you are in your blog too and I love your parenting stories and seeing your beautiful photography of life around there. I miss you!

Kathy said...

I like how Tonia writes back to her commenters. Not that I do it! The Spirit will help you know when to just quickly draw a flower in each corner and when not to.

Great post Aimee. You are good with words.

Avey said...

I'm in the same club you're in Aimee. Facebook does it to me worse than anything... "Look how pretty she is! She looks like she has so many friends, and they're having SO MUCH fun. Her house is so nice..." I could go on and on and on. I struggle with jealousy too often. But your blog always inspires me which is why I love it so. Thanks for the wonderful words.

heidi said...

hey aimee, i'm a little late in commenting, but just wanted to encourage you and to let you know that i often find myself in the same boat, sometimes with people's facebook photos "showing off" their new home, or even in real life, feeling embarassed when inviting certain friends over to our tiny, cramped duplex, knowing how luxuriously roomy and gorgeously decorated their homes are. lately, though, since going through such struggles financially, i've really come to realize how temporary all of this is. we've actually been trying to sell a lot of our things just to make some extra money and its amazing how many little knick knacks for my home don't mean enough to me to keep around! (why in the world do i have SO MANY candles??!!) i'm thankful for the brief moments i'm able to see things through God's eyes and prioritize my life according to His standards.

big hugs,

-heidi