Wednesday, February 18, 2009

clarification

my brother called for clarification - apparently my jumbled wording about a mountain wasn't clear. The pile of laundry is the height of a two and a half year old...and growing.

My yogurt turned out perfect. And I know Melanie thinks yogurt can't be anywhere close to perfect...but for those of you who don't hate yogurt... I couldn't believe on the first try it turned out great. I'm using a vintage 70s yellow Salton yogurt maker. All you do is heat milk (4 cups, with a 1/2 cup powdered milk in it) to boiling, let it cool to 115 degrees then add 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt (with active bacteria cultures). Then I put it in the yogurt maker (which holds it at a consistent temp) for 8 hours and voila! Creamy thick yogurt. This will be great for the budget - and I feel so industrious.

I've been researching more for New York and am getting more and more excited.

Okay, I better get ready for the day.

Eva was just struggling to get out of a "boat" (box) and she said, "Uffda" very funny.

bye.
aimee

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I have one of those yogurt makers too... I love it! You can add a little knox geletin stuff to the mix too if you want it thicker.

I'm excited for your trip!

DAve and JAnie said...

I have been meaning to make yogurt forever, and just the other day my mother in law told me about those vintage yogurt makers. But, where did you get it from????
I have read other options for keeping yogurt at a consistent temp, some very crazy ones in fact, but the yogurt maker box sounds amazing.
I think there is nothing tastier than homemade yogurt, to go with homemade granola, to go with not-homegrown berries. Well, I guess in BC you can get home grown berries pretty easily!

Enjoy your planning phase. If I were going to New York I would try to find an Ani Difranco show, but that's just me. And maybe a Fluvog store, if they have one there. They must have on there...

kortney said...

I'm confused about plain yogurt - is that something you buy at the store or is it just a tub of regular yogurt and then you make it expand?

Oh, and I got the laundry thing, so it wasn't too bad ;)

heidi said...

mmmm...totally makes me wanna run out and find a vintage yogurt maker!

heather said...

You make your own yogurt?! Is there anything you can't do???? I'm so impressed!

Anonymous said...

"uffda"! haha that's hilarious. And thanks for the clarification. I was wondering about that.