
Blackberries are in season and we have found some great patches near our house. There are a few stems just outside our back door - perfect for a couple of handfuls to toss into into a salad, but nowhere near enough to satisfy the blackberry monsters that inhabit our home. Down our alley is a much more bountiful patch. I took the kids in their wagon one morning. Upon arriving I was distraught (inwardly mind you) that a 70ish white haired grandmother had beat me there and had her pail already 3/4 full! Argh. Well I did get a few berries - I was hoping to get enough to gorge that day and also to freeze for the winter. No such luck. I went back sans kids last night and got more, still not many, but I do have a few frozen now. On our walks to different parks I have been scoping out various blackberry locations. I'll have to get out on my own again and load up. Picking with the kids around ends up not being very productive as they ask for more berries almost constantly. Elijah calls them "black blueberries" and Eva is quite specific about how many she wants in her hand, yesterday she said,
"I need one. I need two. No ... (thinking) FIVE".
Here are some photos of a recent feast:






4 comments:
I miss free berries.:( There are more than anyone can handle in Cloverdale across from my old place. Have you got good laundry soap to keep it clean? lol Take Care
Wow. That looks like some intense feasting! We were just out in Vancouver and I so enjoyed the blackberries. They're free and they're food. Two of my favourite things. Glad to see that you guys are enjoying them too!
ho that's messy. I'm glad their not allergic. Because I think if I had blackberry juice running down my arm I'd get pretty itchy, whether or not I were allergic. *smile* They are very cute!
Yumm...blackberry satisfaction!
Post a Comment