Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I can't believe we get to live here

Today we discovered a new park in our city. It was the best time we've had in a long time. There were many many highlights. I'm so glad I grabbed the camera on my way out the door. Here are some photos from our visit to New Brighton Park


They played a total of 5 minutes on the playground and then Elijah led the way, insisting we get closer to that "HUGE boat!". They took off running, leaving Anders and I to gather up our bags and follow along behind.


Much to all of our delight they discovered a rocky beach and did get closer to the "Ruby Idah".




Then it was off to the other side of the beach for rock climbing.
Eva was the first up and quite pleased with herself about that.

Eva found this "queen chair" and Elijah said,
"Eva dontcha think God put this here just for you?"

Meanwhile Anders and I made our own discoveries.



I just knew when we saw the rocks on the beach that we'd have success finding crabs. I think my joy matched the kids'. The beaches we've visited on the west side of the city are pitiful for crabs, so this was a real treat. I have fond memories of searching for tiny crabs when I was just a little older than the twins. I loved sharing the discovery with my own kids today.
Anders was making funny sounds and so I undid his hood velcro to see what was going on. I snapped a photo and asked him what he was doing. He explained, in his two year old sort of way, that he was pretending to eat the crabs. Like a monster I guess.

Elijah found a treasure. He was digging a hole and came across this. It was a very big deal. Later at home when we were washing it he said to me, "I never knew I was good at finding treasure"
It was no surprise to me, that boy has a very keen eye. Can you tell what it is he found?

Eva wanted to hold it too.

Here is Elijah proudly holding his two freshly washed treasures.

Anyone know what this little guy is? A jellyfish was my guess but I'd like to know more. It's about 2 inches across.

Eva spotted this boat being pulled in by tugboats. The kids were ecstatic about getting to see a big boat that was moving. I was surprised that they already knew about tugboats and pointed them out before I could. This is an oil tanker called "The Omega King". I think the kids will be interested to learn more about this boat, where it comes from and what it does. I know nothing about boats so it will be good for me too.

best group shot. drinking juice boxes in the wind and sun, together.

5 comments:

julie said...

oh we used to love this park. the kids called it crab beach. for the same reasons you guys loved it so. it was the one park we could spend an eternity at. and coupled with the pool in the summer, all day was a given!
missing you guys already.
LOOOOOVEEE!!!

Kathy said...

I love this post! Elijah is not the only one with a keen eye. You have a keen eye as a mom, a student of your children.

I'd like to go to this park with you sometime.

Kathy said...

I think the clear round thing is ice that froze in a cup and that you are just jokin' around with us. Am I right?

ElleBelle said...

this is awesome!

Claire said...

I loved this. awesome. I loved Elijah's comment to Eva.