I have boiled our kettle dry three times in the last month. It has changed from red to bronze and now to silvery. That can't be good.
Apart from being chemically mysterious and probably not healthy -- where did that red paint go? -- it is really dangerous.
I just can't seem to remember it. Last night I completely forgot I had started water for tea. I've tried setting the timer, but am not consistent with that. The term scatterbrained comes to mind. Literally my mind is just in so many places at once it's hard to get it to remember everything. I don't think it is worth the risk of me trying to learn to set the timer (I have been trying to learn this for years) How many more times would I boil the kettle dry?
A while ago I complimented someone on their kettle. She mentioned that she had the habit of boiling them dry so she chose a stainless steel WHISTLING kettle. I had never made the connection between the whistle and not boiling a kettle dry. It makes perfect sense. This is what I need! How can I forget the kettle is boiling if there is a (potentially annoying) whistle going and going and going?
So last night, after the third dry kettle, I promptly ordered this:

This kettle first caught my eye in the MOMA gift shop when we were in NY a couple of years ago. It's called the "Eva Kettle", because it was designed by Eva Zeisel. I didn't want to buy an overpriced kettle in a gallery gift shop. But now with my kettle issues I looked it up online a couple of weeks ago. Last night I searched again for it -- and found it for half price. Hooray! It is now on route to our home.
Do you think my kettle issues are solved? Hope so.
At age 30 I think solutions are found less in trying to change how scattered my brain is, but finding ways to work with what I've got!
3 comments:
Very wise words!
Aimee- I boiled a kettle dry and started a fire...Not good! This kettle though, I think your problems will be over!
i was going to suggest the whistling kettle, but thankfully read the rest of your post first and now i won't embarass myself with suggesting the same thing you came up with. josh's aunt nancy has a whistling kettle and i was at her house over the weekend. it is ANNOYINGLY loud (gets louder, i think, the longer it boils) and i made a joke about it causing me to lactate. but i do have to say i think it will do the trick for you! plus, its pretty cute ;)
Post a Comment