Monday, February 7, 2011

Hip Hop

Tonight I went to a drop-in hip hop class. It was awesome. A good work out -- my muscles don't know what hit them. Lot's of fun. Somewhat awkward and a little embarassing. But overall so good and I am glad I went.

A couple of weeks ago I was planning to go for the first time and didn't know anyone who was going. I told this to the kids and expressed a little apprehension. They had some thoughts:

Elijah: "That's okay mom. When you see someone just ask her what her name is"
Eva: "Just meet someone and introduce yourself"

and then Elijah, with the most touching encouragement,

"And mom when you're feeling shy just think of me and that will help you dance"

I love that boy.

That week the class didn't run cause I was the only one to show up. So tonight was my first night. A friend came with me, so I did know someone. And I was so busy concentrating on getting the steps right that I didn't have much time to be worried or shy. But I have stored up that encouragement in my heart.

Also, I would like to know how many of you get the giggles when you imagine me doing hip hop.

Lance can't keep a straight face. I showed him one of the moves when I got home and was going to continue the sequence but had to stop because he was doubled over. Something about the toughness and attitude of hip hop and the sweetness of me just sets him off.

I'll be back next week. What a riot.

9 comments:

Claire said...

well I don't know about the image of you doing hip hop making me laugh, but the image of you showing Lance and him doubled over made me laugh!! good for you!!

kinneyland said...

I could only show Adam about one move from the Zumba class I go to, before he was laughing too hard.

Cassy said...

....and this is why I will not show J-M any moves from any classes I go to. :)

Holly said...

i'm laughing, but only because i love you! :D

Shannon said...

I think it is great! (and see if your library has the kids 'learn to hip hop' DVD)

I tried Zumba just just couldn't do it in public. I'll dance with my kids but cannot shake my money makers in a giant room with windows for walls and a big mirror.

ElleBelle said...

I'm so happy you're liking it!!
And I can totally see you doing hip-hop :) Dance is fun.

Megan said...

Love it! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Colin and Evelyn said...

Sounds like a good time. Trying new things is always interesting.

C.

Jena said...

Good Job Aimee!! I'm proud of you:) Will you be up for showing us some of your moves when we visit??