Saturday, December 18, 2010

Word to the Wise

But really wouldn't it be a word to the foolish? Or perhaps the foolish become wise if they listen to this word?

Unless you have unlimited time, patience and supplies, Christmas (particularly the last 10 days before Christmas... or the last 5!) is not the time to learn new do it yourself crafty type projects and give them as gifts.

I don't know how I didn't realize this until today.

I already mentioned that I had sewed part of Eva's present THREE times. This was a mattress for a doll cradle. It is now done and turned out okay, but not perfect.

Last night I attempted what should have been a very simple craft -- felt superhero masks for Elijah - they turned out terribly, unusable, the felt easily stretches the eyeholes out of shape with even the slights tug, my sewing was pretty bad, and I can't seem to get the right elastic length, even with trying the masks on my sleeping boy!!! I am going to try again tonight, perhaps with sewing a firmer fabric between layers of felt? Any thoughts on this?

Then this afternoon, with Lance out in Abbotsford and the kids watching a movie I began working on a gift for Lance. It was supposed to be relatively simple as well... I was careful with the measuring and things were looking good for awhile. And after two attempts it looks terrible. I will try again tonight, using the current disaster of a gift to practice. Hopefully I can get it!

So this post is like a mental note to me. Learn how to do the crafts during the year. Then when December (or how about November!) comes I'll be proficient and ready to go. Less frustration, less tears, and more time for reading novels (or folding laundry).

Well I better go. Lots to do as you can see.

Aimee

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Some sort of interfacing fabric - would be helpful - fusible interfacing?

You are my girl - what can I say?

Love,
Mom

I'll be enjoying Lance and co. tonight.

Claire said...

well another word to the wise that I learned tonight. Do not come out of store with a christmas gift in the bag and tell your four year old that their Christmas gift is in the bag when they ask what is in the bag. Wow...sobbing tears & begging to know what it is the whole night. :(
good luck with the masks and all the other projects. I'm sure they will work out great and full of spirit! :)

kinneyland said...

I still have to make Leland a stocking when we get to Camrose. I made an extra one when I made them, but it's already been spoken for. I can't make it ahead of time because I don't remember what they look like. Oh well, he won't notice.

Shannon said...

did you get the masks done?

I would suggest drawing the outline on the felt ~ sew it ~ THEN cut it out. do a stright stitch quickly along all your sewing lines. Then do a zia zag and cut out. For the eyes I would do two lines of straight stitch and no zig zag.

If you cannot get the elastic to work, consider two straps with velcro, long enough to adjust between all three kids.

Kathy said...

I saw the skirt and it's very cute with a ribbon hemline trim. Eva will love it. I just thought I'd bring a report from a witness. : )