



Hi Friends, it's been awhile. Oh the days have seemed so full here. There have been delightful impromptu visits from friends and family. Wars against mice in the garage. Reading some incredible parenting books. Playing in SNOW. Staying in out of rain rain rain. Seeing the date "December 1st" arrive and breathing a sigh realizing that our Christmas gifts are not gathered and made as I had planned (but some are!)...
Peanut Butter Bars with Leftover Oatmeal
2 cups leftover oatmeal
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sweetener - I used agave nectar because it doesn't spike my blood sugar (honey or sugar would work too)
1 egg - one time I used two, since Anders grabbed the egg carton and they tumbled out, two were cracked so I needed to use them, it turned out great.
1 1/2 cups whole grain flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Cream butter, sweetener and egg in a bowl. Add oats and other ingredients; mix well. Spread into greased 9×13″ baking pan. Bake at 350′ for 15 minutes or more if necessary.
I like to sprinkle some dark chocolate chips - just a few for me - on top when the bars are still hot (before I cut them) when the chips melt I spread them around, a nice impromptu frosting of sorts. It's not pretty but it tastes great.
I found the orignal recipe at here, thanks to googling "leftover oatmeal recipes". I altered it a little.
Here are couple links to some other delicious recipes I've discovered lately:
Tomato soup - never tried this before. Easy and delicious.
Quick Rye Bread - I discovered this because Cara and Andy and co were coming over for lunch. I had made soup and wanted something to go with it. The only flour I had in any quantity was Rye flour. Also I had no time for a yeast bread. It was perfect. yum yum yum. The recipe has no fat or salt listed. Seems like everything is better with a little fat and salt. So I added 2 tablespoons oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
Okay off to make some breakfast.
May the light of Advent sneak into all the corners of your life. (mine too.)
Aimee
3 comments:
HEY!!! Thank you for the pictures, the recipes (looks good!!) and the advent blog. I'm looking forward to checking that out. Tell me about the parenting book too! miss you friend.
Thanks Aimee
aimee you would not believe how cheap agave syrup is here. it's dirt cheap. and in every grocery store.
i think of you, (and oddly, gwyneth paltrow) whenever i see it, and it's insane price.
miss you. and lance. and those petites. say hello.
Post a Comment