Well... almost daily I think of things to blog about (isn't it bizarre that while life is happening one can be thinking, "oh I should totally blog about this", or say to someone else, "you'll for sure have to blog that") And almost daily I do not blog.
I've been meaning to share some recipes with you, today I'll share just one. Did I ever share the recipe for the granola bars I made for our NYC trip? I tried to search my blog for them but couldn't find them. So I'll share now, since I just made some again for back to school snacks for Lance. They are not low sugar (some of you are cheering), but do have many nutritious ingredients in them, and when compared to store bought they are much cheaper and lack puzzling ingredients so I am happy to make them...there is a problem though... they are so delicious that I'm considering telling Lance to hide them somewhere only he knows, cause I keep going by the container and snitching corners off them...that could make me feel pretty gross if I keep it up.
I got the original recipe here - joyful abode
It is great as is, but I wanted to say that I don't worry about what the dry ingredients are exactly, but just about how much the total volume of dry ingredients is. You'll read in her recipe that she toasts the dry ingredients in the oven, so I just pour a bunch of dry ingredients into a bowl and mix, then toss onto a cookie sheet and toast, stirring occasionally, till slightly golden. Then I measure out 4.5 cups of the toasted mixture and use that, plus about a cup of dried fruit/raisins. This time I had oats, coconut, hemp hearts, pecans and cornflakes (as I typed that I realized that three of those ingredients are ones we inherited from the Kinney's when they moved - thanks guys!). Other options include but are not limited too, flax seed, wheat germ, soy nuts, walnuts, and puffed wheat/rice. I always make more than I'll need for the granola bars and use the left over toasted mixture in peanut butter balls, or as cereal, or mixed with butter and cinnamon as a fruit crisp topping.
Another variation I have done (sorry no measurements, I'm so haphazard in the kitchen) is to add peanut butter to the liquid mixture. Delicious! I have slightly decreased the quantity of brown sugar/honey with some success. And by some success I mean that sometimes the bars held together and another time (when I was making them as a gift!) they completely crumbled into a sweet and tasty granola. Consider yourself warned.
that's all for today.
aimee
1 comment:
Oh crunchy sweet toasted anything is a delicious mixture in my books no matter what! All these combinations just sound so delightful...and inspirational. I wish I wasn't feeling so sick...because then maybe I'd try experimenting again, to surprise Jeff with a delicious treat. (the last one I made him didn't turn out AT ALL :( in fact he was happy for the thought but kept saying, "it's too eggy!" and couldn't eat it. That is so discouraging...)
THX for the recipe!
Post a Comment