Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Venturing out

Today I was brave. I ventured out and met new people. I recently joined an online group of mom's in the burnaby area. A couple of them were planning to meet at a local mall's indoor play area today and invited the rest of us. I'm new to the group and don't know anyone...but that's why I joined the group, to meet people nearby. I didn't know if I'd go, but this morning as I looked at the long day ahead (Lance left for school at 7:45am and his last class ends at 9:45pm) I knew I needed to get out and about - and probably more than once.

So I packed us up and headed to the mall. The play area was nice, semi-enclosed which is good for me and my two year olds. It was also sock only, which I knew so I had brought the kids socks... but not me. After releasing the kids into the play area, I had to gather them up, reharness them into the stroller and head to Sears to buy some socks - which fortunately I needed anyways.

So socked and ready to go we returned to the play area where I met the two ladies from the group. I'm glad I went. The kids had a good time for the most part (Elijah got hit by a rambunctious boy - I sure felt like a mama bear). And mostly it was just a good step for me, whether or not anything comes of it.

Too bad though, the kids slept on the 15 minute drive home. I tried to transfer them into beds...but no success. We are all awake and I don't foresee naps in the future. We'll make it to bed time.

Hope you are well.

Aimee

5 comments:

kortney said...

You are very brave Aimee, I am impressed. I keep thinking about joining a prenatal pilates class in hopes of meeting a couple younger mom-to-be's, but I never find the courage!!!

We're praying for you in these busy three weeks you have ahead!!! Don't forget to nap as often as you can!

Shannon said...

how fun to meet new people. Prayers that at some point the most perfect person will be tossed in your fishbowl.

Alvin & Denise Engler said...

It was so nice to see you at Lance's concert and get to enjoy watching your kids for awhile. They are such sweethearts, ripe with an appreciative, wide-eyed mischief.

I am laughing at the mamma bear comment -- I have been experiencing that a lot with the play "in the neighbourhood" and having to hold myself back from stepping in.

Thanks for your regular posting! We anxiously await baby news!

-de

Demara said...

I'm glad you were able to get out, be brave, AND meet people! I do admire you...

heidi said...

wish i was as brave as you in meeting other moms...

i sometimes wonder what motorists driving next to me are thinking when they see me doing all sorts of things from the driver's seat to keep my son awake on the drive home. a steady trickle of snacks rarely does the trick, so i usually resort to loud singing, tickles, making funny faces in the rearview, and then finally handing over my cell phone. all this so that i can have a few moments peace an quiet later on in the house? yeah, its worth it :)