
We were away in Abbotsford for four days. I came back to find these in my yard, just poking their bright faces out of the bamboo/lawn. They're a type of fall crocus - Colchicum. The leaves come in the spring, then disappear and the flowers appear seemingly like magic in the fall. I'll say. What a lovely surprise.
And now about my feet. I have been faithfully wearing my birkenstocks for 9 years. Lance gave them to me for my 19th birthday... that is a long time ago. This summer I knew it was time to let them go, the soles were worn through, the footbeds cracked, cork splitting apart. But Birkenstocks are very expensive. Think around $130. Yikes. I have a REALLY hard time spending that amount on myself. And think of the stress of the choice, I have to pick a pair that I'll like for another 10 years! Anyways, before we left Camrose Heidi bought Jeremy my chopsaw (an anniversary present for me from Lance, something I always wanted, but in the two years I had it never used it). I decided that their generous payment would fund my new Birks. So I started looking... Lance encouraged me to not bother with choosing a sandal that would last ten years in terms of style, but to choose something fun. I looked in many stores one day and came home with a pair of shoes - on sale, orange and very cute. I needed shoes too and these were such a good price that snatched them up. They look like this, but an orangy colour:

Then I got to thinking. I could probably find some great Birkenstocks for a great price online. Nothing in the stores was catching my eye anyways. I knew my size and had narrowed down which style I wanted. So I looked and looked and finally found these:

And the best part - well besides being very happy with both pairs of shoes, so happy in fact that I look at my feet way more than anyone should - is that I got both shoes for basically the price of the chopsaw! So Heidi, thanks for the new shoes!
8 comments:
Hmmm Aimee, if you still have your old birkenstocks, my Dad is a licensed repair guy for the company - I can get him to do them for free if you like - he'll recork them and put a new sole on them...let me know!
Wow Aimee, 10 years! That's pretty amazing. I would probably spend $500 on a pair of shoes if they were going to last me 10 years. Think about it, it's only like $13 per year. I spend way more than that on shoes that only last me a year or two. I'm very impressed. And I really like both pairs of sandals you picked out. Nice work.
Those Birks are adorable!
is it any surprise that I wear Birkenstocks too? it is a hippy prereq. I've had mine almost two years and they could use repair.
I NEED a pair of those mary janes. they can be my churchbirks.
Glad you got a cute pair of shoes.
Aimz! I LOVE THEM!! The first pair are Keens aren't they? I got an AWESOME pair of them at Winners - soooo comfy. Good for you. I love you.
Aimee, the new shoes are great! I love the style and colour of the birks. Enjoy!
Very lovely shoes. I have also had birks recorked/soled, and they actualy turned out better than new (because they were already broken in!). I hope your feet are staying happy in then near the end of your pregnancy. I don't know if you get the swollen ankles/feet issues, but I remember wanting to wear nothing but sandles the last month!
I am also shopping for new shoes and have my eyes on a pair by Merrell, called Paris. Google then, I think you might like them too (for another shoe spree that is!)
Can't wait to come over to your blog to see you new baby's face!
Hi Aimee,
I am a dedicated Birk wearer ... where did you find the ones on-line (ie is it an on-line store?)
I love them ... so feminine.
~Marsha
Post a Comment