Well it was fine. And I don't think awkward really. It was pretty much repeating the same story over and over. Saying,"Hey _____ how are you?" they answer "good, good" and return the question. People ask if you still live in the area. No actually we just moved back after 5 years in Alberta. Are these your kids? Yeah. Introduce husband... People gravitated towards those they hung out with in highschool, not cliquey, but it just makes sense cause they're probably still in touch a bit so they have more in common. Maybe this is what I was concerned about - because I didn't have a group. But everyone was friendly and there are actually lots of people who didn't have "a group" or the people from their group weren't there.
So all in all I enjoyed myself. I didn't worry about how I looked - though Lance told me after that he thought people might be surprised about how I look different (maybe the new stylish hair - just got my haircut) - I clarified and he made it clear that he thought I looked really good (that's always nice).
There were tons of kids there and our kids just ran around the playground sometimes interacting with the others sometimes just climbing up and sliding down. People thought our kids were very cute, we agreed.
Lance had an okay time too, though wouldn't have minded if we'd left earlier. :) He ended up connecting with another husband and they talked music. I had that dad pegged right away. I said to his wife - who I had graduated with - "I bet he's glad he has kids". Oh yeah. Anyways he and Lance enjoyed talking about music and all their mutual musical friends.
I tried to interact with people more than I might normally. Ask more questions. Initiate. I always made sure to express encouragement to the significant others who braved the reunion. Talk about potentially uncomfortable - you know no one except your date, and they know everyone.
In a way it was a lot like highschool was for me - lots of surfacy nice interactions. And that's fine. It was actually better than I had expected.
Now we're back home after a couple days at Grandma Kathy and Grandpa Lando's house. Lance worked ferociously cleaning out the garage and now we have a place to store our extra stuff (which is currently sitting in an overpriced storage unit). My folks were super grateful, and we think it's a good exchange.
I meet my midwife on Tuesday and am really looking forward to it. We don't know yet about BC health coverage and when it will kick in. We're praying that they'll waive the wait period for us, so all the midwife fees are covered. Second best would be if the baby would wait around and not come out until we're covered. That would be a financial blessing.
I have a little girl who's having a hard time falling asleep, and I'm a worried mama cause all the zip up jammies that usually keep her clothed (when put on backwards) are in the laundry. So she could be naked for all I know. I think I better take a peek soon.
Thanks for all your comments about highschool. It's so surprising to find out that a lot of us had similar experiences of loneliness and awkwardness - I mean I know highschool is typically an unstable time with so much "finding" of oneself. But what surprised me was that I couldn't tell that you (who I went to school with) were feeling that way. I guess we all hid it so well. One thing that has changed since highschool is that I hide things less. More real, with myself, with others. It's good.
Well it's been a big day.
Hope you are well.
Aimee
5 comments:
Glad to hear it went satisfactorily - you're done now, for at least another ten years :) At least it was a nice day to play outside!!!
i just wanted to let you know that i came across some pictures on facebook of your reunion yesterday and you were in a couple of them, looking absolutely beautiful! you looked like you were enjoying yourself very much. i'm so glad you did :)
Glad it wasn't all just a bunch of awkward post high school drama..I hate drama..and high school..well I never loved it..that's for sure! I don't know if I will go to my 10 year reunion..hmm..got some time to think on that luckily.
Aw! Aimz. I'm glad you had a good time, AND that there were LOTS of children there for your kids to run around with!!!
That reunion wasn't so bad... Can you tell Lance that I didn't really mean to ditch him when I ran off to get water? I did mean to come back and visit.
In any case, do you want a visitor on a Friday or something? That's my day off. So let me know!
Bekki
Post a Comment