Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Here and Happy

Yesterday I saw our new home for the first time. I love it. There is plenty of space for us - space for our stuff is another question, we're in the process of getting creative to see if we can make it work without renting some sort of storage unit. Where do you keep a rooftop carrier when you have no garage and no basement?

Anyways we unloaded the truck yesterday. I use the term "we" loosely. I carried things like pillows and blankets. While friends and family - who we are EXTREMELY grateful for - carried large filing cabinets, couch, tables etc. Got lots of unpacking yesterday. Mom and Jane had the kids in Abbotsford. Today Jane comes into Burnaby to help with the getting settled.

The kids have been real troupers through all this change but we can tell it is wearing on them. Looking forward to being more settled and having a string of more normal days.

The neighborhood we live in is very quiet - actually more quiet than our Camrose place. There are huge trees. One woman in our 4 plex loves flowers and gardening so our tiny yard is full of color and life. My one planter that I packed into the moving truck made it here alive and adorns our front entry. There is a school just one block away and a huge park about the same distance.

As we unpack we are making big piles of things we don't want and plan to craigslist or simply thrift. The microwave is one of them. Does such a seldom used, potentially harmful, huge appliance deserve to rob one third of my counter space? I don't think so.

Sorry no photos yet. But thought you'd at least like an update.

excited to get more unpacking done,
aimee

ps. it all still seems surreal. I can't believe that tomorrow (this is our plan) we will bring the kids out and actually start living in Burnaby. Feels really weird. I guess staying at my folks place (which is what we have been doing) makes it seem like a holiday. okay better go.

pps. thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and comments

7 comments:

peppers said...

now that you're hanging out in burnaby instead of stinky alberta, maybe we could hang out more! let me know (and you now HAVE to come to the reunion)

Unknown said...

Happy to read that your are pleased with your new home, Aimee. It was a bit of a risk to let Lance make the decision alone. We'd love to see pictures when you have time so that we can get a visual of the 4 of you in your new living space.

Lisa-Marie said...

Congrats on a successful move to Burnaby!

Avey said...

Very excited to see pictures. Glad to hear that everyone is doing ok. I hope the stress levels aren't too high.

Demara said...

your place reminds me of ours!

-except our 4-plex is in a loud part of town. a neighbor just set a pool up in our backyard too and another neighbor has a huge garden back there with lots of tomatoes and mint.(for our larger items we use our 2 storage rooms.)-

I can't wait to see pictures and to hear how the adjusting goes for you all.I think it would be hard to downsize, but finding room on FREECYCLE, Craigs List, or the Thrift store for all those unused items would be the best place for them!

Shannon said...

CHEERS for lots of family and friends to help out. It is an amazing blessing.

I would use the roof rack to store something like out of season coats or other such and then put a pretty cloth over it- keeping it in an area where kids wont jump. I hated trying to figure all that out. If a small storage unit is cheap enough then I would probably give in and do that. We have an attic thankfully.

I tried to get rid of the microwave, it lives in my pantry now. Probably radioactivating all my dry goods. Maybe one day I can ditch it for good.

Maybe I'll get to see you next time I visit. Looks like I missed you by a couple weeks.

Anika Lacerte | The Handcrafted Story said...

When you have no garage and no basement I recommend "Your Parents Basement Storage Inc." :) I'm looking forward to one day not having anything in their basement, though.