remember the ghetto garden?

well, it's been growing!
we've been eating lots of lettuce, a few peas, fresh herbs, beet, chard and carrot thinnings, and a couple of tiny tomatos from the front yard. Here's a photo of the front. I didn't realize my son wasn't at his best until I uploaded the photos. Oh well. I'll include a super cute (albeit blurry) one of him as a bonus.
I've been learning lots about garden pests this season. Cabbage aphids on the kale, along with cabbage caterpillars. Black aphids coating nasturtium stems. I learned about these garden nuisances on the internet. The photo below - showing unripe peas snapped off before their prime - doesn't need googles help to understand.
She came to me smiling with green slime dripping from her very full mouth. Someone is as excited as I am to harvest from our little garden. Now if only I can get those impulsive fingers to wait until the veggies are ripe (though I myself have eaten a few peas a little early cause I could hardly wait!)
that's all for tonight. I've got a toddler who is supposed to be sleeping crawling on my back. Perhaps I should re-tuck him in!
Aimee
4 comments:
love this!
Looks yummy :) All my first gardens were in recycled containers too.
I love your garden! My Mom used to encourage us to 'bloom where you are planted'-you are totally doing this. It's inspiring. Also, I think I would have a hard time waiting for fresh peas as well. :)
mmm peas!!!! Your garden(S) are looking GREAT Aimee. woot woot :)
Post a Comment