Tuesday, November 24, 2009

hello again

it's been a little while. but here I am.

Listening to Carolyn Arends Christmas album right now. I've recommended it before, it is very good, and speaks to my heart every time. And to those who refrain from advent/christmas stuff until advent begins, or december 1, remember, I practice an extended advent. Got to get my heart in gear early.

In other news -

I have successfully made my own dishwasher soap! Yes I am excited about this. I followed (for the most part) a recipe found here I had already started using white vinegar in the rinse aid compartment. I was very happy with those results. Then, when our old detergent was all gone, I made the new stuff. The only difference was that I didn't use the citric acid. It's purpose is to reduce clouding, so I guess if my dishes start to get cloudy I'll go out and find some! We're pleased with the results.

We had friends Jonnie and Kaylyn (sp?) stay with us this weekend. The kids were crazy about them! They (J & K, not the kids) treated us to a fabulous restaurant in our neighborhood where we enjoyed marvelous food. (it's called Locus, and I highly recommend it).

Thinking about consistency in parenting lately. Not about having consistent consequences for certain behaviors, but to act consistently regardless about how I'm feeling. To view the situation a little more objectively and not get my emotions all wrapped up in it. Like today, when the dog owner (elijah) yanked on the dog's (eva) fur causing the dog to let out a ear piercing shriek, right outside the door of the napping brother, rudely awakening him... I almost blew up. I had asked them REPEATEDLY to keep quiet in the hallway to not wake Anders. And now, because Anders was awake, the little bit of "me" time I was carving out for myself was over. So my response (though miraculously I did have self-control, thank-you Holy Spirit) wasn't about the kids actions, or even the immediate result (Anders being awake), but about my plans being disrupted. If I had been folding laundry or something less exciting, I wouldn't have been nearly as upset. I'm asking God to give me perspective and a moment to choose a response before reacting. And also for enough "me" time here and there that I don't need/want to freak out when it (inevitably) gets disrupted.

Alright, now I'm going to fold laundry.

hope you are well.

aimee

3 comments:

Shannon said...

This is a common struggle.

being consistant for the sake of rules/morals/molding a future. And not blowing up because 'we' are angry.

It's difficult sometimes.

heidi said...

i so hear you on the consistency thing. i haven't been feeling well for the past couple of days and its amazing how a headache can make every day tears/whininess seem SO much worse! also, thanks for posting that link for the dishwashing soap! i'm excited to look at it. i'm fed up with the film left on our dishes from the icky stuff in the regular detergent i use, so i'm ready for a change!

Claire said...

I so SO hear ya.