Unbeknownst to me I put Elijah's yogurt in the wrong bowl at snack time, after happily eating it and then finding out there wouldn't be a second helping in the desired bowl he absolutely lost it. Full throttle screams accompanied with a -what I later found out was not a scratch but a "lion pinch" - on my chest. I carried him to his room so we could talk about what was going on...
He began rattling off things like, "you have to obey me" and "I don't wike that face mama"
and then he dropped the big one:
"then I will weave you and wun away to a desert far far away"
his eyes fiery, fists clenched as he spit the words out.
I respond as dramatically as he, but with sadness,
"All alone? Oh no then I would be so sad and miss you so much"
head cocks, demeanor changes, just a little, the words still coming out with force...
"No, not aw awone, I would take you mama"
and then the anger melts rapidly
"and I would take Papa and Eva and Anders too, the whole famiwy"
And from there things turned around pretty quick. He apologized for the lion pinch and we agreed to use the right bowl for supper.
I'm glad that he won't be running away to the desert, and it good to know that if in the future he does decide to go, that he would take the whole family.
I love that guy.
7 comments:
I hope Nelson and I get to come too!! :)
That is so cute. Kudos to you for giving him way out of those angry / running away emotions. I love how pride does not keep kids on an emotional track that they don't want to be on anyhow -- they switch over so quickly.
-de
YOu handled that with such patience. Isn't it amazing what happens when we listen to them? I need more patience! Miss you guys:)
did he get a second helping in a different bowl?
why does it matter what bowl he eats yogurt out of?
aw :) I'm glad his priorities are straight. lol too cute.
p.s. I sent you an email. Did you get it?
Well handled Aimee :) I love it when mamas can put aside their own "be quiet and do as I say" tendancies and love the anger out of their kids :)
It's so hard to help them through their emotions some times hey? I'm glad he won't leave you all alone. ;)
Post a Comment