Wednesday, October 7, 2009

ticky

We have been watching (along with A LOT of other movies these past few sick days) some Steve Green "Hide 'em in Your Heart" DVDs. They are kids' music videos from the 90s. Hilarious fluorescent coloured clothes, huge shirts, double layers with the sleeves rolled up, baseball hats with upturned brims. Brings me right back!

The premise of the songs are to help kids hide God's word in their hearts. So each song is straight out of scripture. Before each song Steve Green explains the verse and then a kid - usually with a heavy American accent - reads the verse. I have mixed feelings about the music and the depictions of the verses (to be fair, abstract concepts like, "a cheerful heart is good medicine but a broken spirit dries up the bones, are hard to dramatize. The sad singing skeleton scares the kids, and they now think that a goofy clown with glasses and wild red hair is what heals a broken spirit - it worked for the sad kid in the hospital bed right? That must be the solution!)

BUT --- Over the past few days I have been hearing my kids singing scripture. Many different verses are becoming stuck in their heads - and mine too actually. So that I cannot argue with. I love it. And sometimes it makes me laugh...

Elijah singing:

Der is a fwend, who ticks cwoser dan a bruhver

(did you catch that?)

Elijah: Dat's Jesus you know Mama. Mama? Is Jesus ticky?

I said yes.

Elijah: Oh no mama I don't want him to be ticky.

(this boy does not like to get his fingers messy, the prospect of sticky is not positive)

I went on to explain that it just means that he is close by. He asked if I was ticky too. Yes I am close by too I said.

----

Well, I think I am almost well! Last night I ventured out of the house and went to a drawing drop-in evening at a local art gallery/workshop. I was nervous to go, since it is somewhere I'd never been before and it's been a long time since I've concentrated on drawing. But I went. And I LOVED it. I just kept smiling and smiling. I will go again - hopefully next week! I came home very energized, even though it was past 10 and I have been going to bed at that hour this week.

And today the kids and I got out to the park and the market. It felt good to get out though I can tell I'm not back to normal yet.

So I am on the mend and Lance is now sick. He lasted just long enough to really help me out while I was in the worst of it. Now he's napping, drinking berry smoothies, reading text books and occasionally being jumped on by kids who are certain the bed is a trampoline.

Well, I really better go, my home is creeping - no caving - in on me from all sides. I should deal with some of the laundry to be folded or maybe some of the supper dishes...

hope you are well and enjoying fall.

Aimee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny-- a sticky God! :)
Hope you guys are all feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute conversation...I love how we can even learn from children!

Kathy said...

Ah Aimee - this is Reader's Digest material! I've enjoyed it a few times.