Wednesday, December 14, 2011

listening in

Tonight I was washing dishes (broken dishwasher!) while Lance got the kids ready for bed. Often I'll read to the kids from "Little House in the Big Woods" as they are laying in their beds. Tonight Lance did the reading while I was washing. I've never washed dishes so quietly. I didn't want to miss any of what was happening at the joyous dance at Grandpa's house. I remember loving the Little House books as a child. Eva is completely taken with them. Elijah especially likes the stories about panthers and bears. Anders could care less and sometimes falls asleep before I even start the chapter. I'm finding I do some editing as I read though. They were rougher times and far different from the lives our children know. In a few years they could handle it all I think. But for now I'd rather them not have to deal with understanding why three boys would be taking to the woodshed for a beating for sledding and not sitting still on Sunday.

1 comment:

Holly said...

my mom read us all those books when we were little too :)