Friday, December 23, 2011

Joy to the World

There is nothing that brings deeper joy to my heart this Christmas than knowing that Christmas is stronger and larger and wilder than the sweetness of a newborn baby.

I feel this year I am being a glimpse of what that baby brought with him. Ushering in God's Kingdom. Shouting to his people that we are not forgotten. That he is WITH us. A revolution breaking into the world. Turning things upside-down. Both Zachariah and Mary's songs see past the way things appear. This is not a normal baby. Because of this baby and the kingdom he brings, the proud are scattered, the lowly are lifted up, the hungry are filled and the rich sent away empty. Christmas is not sweet. It is unpredictable, wild and filled with deep hope.

one of Lance's songs has been arresting me almost daily this past week. They lyrics are below, but you can listen to it (always better) here

DISTURBER
Disturber of apathetic sediment
Upheaver, pushing through flimsy sentiment
Find us Invader, find us

Dissolving religious respectability
Dislodging powers and principalities
Find us Invader, find us

This, this, this is Christmas
His violence is kindness
This, this, this is Christmas
Can the child still surprise us?

Subverter, coming in a babe’s disguise
Stealer of our pristine and pretty lies
Find us Invader, find us
Encroaching on seasonal idolatry
Disbanding huddled attempts at mutiny
Find us Invader, find us

Less like a greeting, more like a coup
Along with the baby, rides a mighty kingdom too


May the baby and his kingdom surprise you this Christmas.

with love,

Aimee


1 comment:

Claire said...

I love that song too. And also, like you, this Christmas I am feeling even more deeply the scandal, the surprise, the joy of Christmas. I am so close to tears almost constantly this year.