Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hand pies -- update

Can't remember if I have shared this link before...
I modify the crust a bit (half whole wheat flour in the crust -- no one complains about this)
And have actually never made them with rhubarb -- since you need sugar to offset it's crazy tartness. For filling I have been mixing chopped apples and raspberries or blueberries, then cooking them till they are soft, adding a bit (2 tbsp for a medium size pot) of cornstarch (mixed into some juice that I removed from the pot and then added back in to avoid lumps) and also some cinnamon (1 tsp).

Delicious.

I made some to bring to our neighborhood bbq... and in all honesty I feel a little like a 1950's housewife bringing something to a potluck - hoping my dish will be the one talked about and people wanting to find out who brought it... I think in our neighborhood whole-wheat all fruit mini-pies might just bring that result... Not that praise is the reason I chose to make them, I just wanted there to be a dessert I could eat there!!

thought you'd appreciate that peak into my mind. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Update:

Well perhaps my hopes were a little overzealous... or I just didn't hear the people who were raving about my dessert. BUT, I think, judging by what was on the dessert table when I left, that my pies came in second to Solly's Cinnamon buns. Which is pretty good considering our local bagel shop makes the BEST cinnamon buns. I happily walked home with the empty tray and Eva walked sadly beside me, wishing there had been no neighborhood bbq so that the pies wouldn't be all gone. I reminded her that she had chosen cake and jello and that I would make more. And I asked her if she really would rather have had another pie instead of enjoying a hot dog, getting a balloon crown, playing with new and old friends, having her face painted, and getting to sit in a real fire-truck. She said yes. Apparently the grief of that moment was enough to cloud over all the joy of the last two hours. I guess if I wanted words of affirmation about my pies, I certainly got them from her!!

1 comment:

kortney said...

If I was at the party, I'd definitely pick your pies first. I don't even like cinnamon buns. I've book marked this recipe for another day. Yummy!