I made pitas yesterday using this recipe -
click here . It was very easy and quick too. Faster than other pita recipes I have seen since the yeast doesn't need time to rise; steam is what makes them puff up. I couldn't resist adding a little whole wheat flour. I subbed 1/2 cup whole wheat for white. Next time I'll sub a whole cup since half a cup worked just fine. They turned out good and were fast and easy and fresh and way cheaper than buying the equivalent from a bakery. Needless to say, I was proud of myself.
4 comments:
may not be equivalent than a bakery. i can get pitas for 75 cents per bag of 6. if you wanna know where, let me know
I'm proud of you too.
ooooh, I will try this!
now I want to make gyros. or tuna and sprout pitas. mmmmm. I think I just want lunch.
Mmm I make my own pitas too (http://gottalittlespacetofill.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-your-own-pita-bread.html) and we haven't gone back to storebought since - the flavor and freshness can NOT be beat!
The recipe I use suggests a few hours to 3 days resting in the fridge to develop flavor - I make a batch of dough every Friday and bake it off on Sundays.
It's definitely not as easy as picking up a bag of pita but it sure does taste better!
Post a Comment